Sunday, April 21, 2013

Greenbrier Challenge


By Brad Walker

As always I want to thank Flying Dog Dog Brewery and of course Bike Doctor of Frederick. I can’t say enough of how great everyone is at the shop. Over the course of two years the shop has really been the best. So if you’re reading this stop by the shop and check them out and spend all your money.  Okay so I got that out of the way, so hopefully you’re still awake and or haven’t shut down your computer…

So this weekend was the 10th Annual running of the Greenbrier Challenge at Greenbrier State Park in Hagerstown Maryland. For once the race isn’t on the same day as another popular race in the area and so this year I decided to finally race at Greenbrier. For many people, Greenbrier is a tough 5.7 mile loop that is basically mostly uphill and very little anything else. So if you don’t like steep climbs than it’s probably not a course you will like…hence why I’ve never raced here although I do most of my training at Greenbrier. So I decide for once to do the race, spend the 35 dollars and drive the 8 miles or so to the course. The weather decided to not cooperate with what I would consider ideal riding conditions…80 degrees and instead was a chilly 53. It’s not so much the temperature being cold it’s the fact that I hate breathing the chilly air into my lungs while I cling to my handlebars wondering why I do this to myself, and actually pay for my heart to be 185bpm for an hour and half. I check in and get my fancy MASS series plate and attach it to my bars and head down to watch another Flying Dog Racer take off in an earlier category. So he’s off to suck the cold air so figure it’s as good as any time to get ready and changed into the team kit. 

The cat 2 men went off starting at 11:30 so it’s still not warm enough out..yea I know I’m a complainer, well its almost the end of April I mean come on…seriously! The director counts us down and off we go, I didn’t really have much of a plan this race other than ride the loop as fast I could. So instead of deciding beforehand how I would start I decided while I was half way down the starting track along the lake and my choice of starting was an all out sprint to the top of the first climb. The spectators were all saying great things to me about how great the start was meanwhile inside my head I was already yelling at myself as I could tell I already went way past my threshold level. In other words I was hurting and hurting bad. Regardless it’s a race so I put the tough face on and keep on getting it as I know the course well and I know all I gotta do is get to the top of the big steep climb and the course is basically half over. This plan didn’t work out too well as I got a stick lodged into my rear derailleur while passing a fellow racer. So I had to un clip and throw the bike upside down and bend the derailleur back into line the best I could. I hop back on the bike and take off only to find that I have lost three of my top climbing rings in the back. Normally it wouldn’t be too big of a deal but Greenbrier has two steep climbs that require those rings. So I’m basically stuck muscling the bike up the hills wearing myself out big time. Regardless I keep on pedaling and trying to catch the two guys who are now in 1st and 2nd

On the 3rd and final lap I finally catch one of the guys on one of the big climbs and he informs me that the leader is only a minute ahead. I push it as hard as I can and decide on the last semi technical decent that maybe it’s time to go from a fully rigid bike to at least a suspension fork on the front as it really slows me down on the downhill’s as I have to pick my line a little more carefully. So I do my best to catch the leader but it’s to no avail so I finish the race in 2nd and have a bag full of bike stuff, a nice little medal and the best part a 50 dollar check to show for my efforst. This season is starting out pretty well as I have placed in the top 3 in the last couple races. Hopefully the season keeps going well. Also I want to say great job to Flying Dog’s newest team member Nathan Hickle of Hagerstown as he won the Cat 3 race. This coming weekend is the Fairhill classic in upper Maryland. Till next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment